Nothing evokes the warm, comforting feeling of home quite like the aroma of a freshly baked apple pie wafting through your kitchen. Apple pie is a classic dessert loved by people of all ages. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just getting started, making the perfect apple pie is a rewarding culinary adventure. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through a step-by-step recipe for the best homemade apple pie. So, preheat your oven and get ready to create a delicious masterpiece!
For the Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (cold and cut into small cubes)
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 6-7 medium-sized apples (a mix of Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or other varieties)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Prepare the Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your hands to work it into the flour until you get a crumbly texture.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough just comes together.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions, shape them into disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the Filling:
- Peel, core, and slice the apples into thin, even slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple slices with lemon juice, both sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and flour. Toss until the apples are well-coated.
- Roll Out the Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll out one of the pie crust disks on a lightly floured surface to fit your pie dish.
- Gently place the rolled-out crust into the bottom of the pie dish.
- Add the Filling:
- Pour the apple filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Assemble the Pie:
- Roll out the second pie crust disk and place it on top of the apple filling.
- Trim any excess dough and seal the edges by crimping with a fork or your fingers.
- Cut a few small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Bake the Pie:
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any potential spills.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Cool and Serve:
- Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before serving.
There’s nothing quite like the satisfaction of slicing into a warm, homemade apple pie. With this simple and delicious recipe, you can master the art of apple pie baking and create a treat that will have everyone asking for seconds. The combination of flaky, buttery crust and perfectly spiced apple filling is a true culinary masterpiece. So, next time you have a craving for a classic dessert, try making your very own apple pie – you won’t be disappointed!